Please read this disclaimer.
I have been surprised with all the feedback I have been getting about my vapor rub lately. I never thought it would be so popular. I had whipped up a quick batch last year and immediately gave it away to friends and family members. I never received feed back until now and boy is it nice to hear how well it has helped other families. I decided while filling yet another order I would share how I made it with the world!
The best part of JEM’s Vapor Rub is that it doubles as a Neosporin or Mel-a-gel. Not only will it sooth your congestion you can also use it on cuts, scraps and other booboo’s as well. We have even used it to help bug bites stop itching. Okay I lied the BESTEST part about this vapor rub is that it is petroleum and other harmful chemical FREE!
Now normally I would say the Essential oils are optional but for this recipe they are NOT optional. The essential oils are what makes the vapor rub, vapor rub. I have researched what goes into Vick’s and which oils have healing properties that helps with congestion. Of course you could always add to this list, but I would seriously recommend not taking any of these out.
What you need to make an all natural vapor rub:
- 2 ½ TBSP Coconut oil
- 2 TBSP Bee’s Wax
- ½ TBSP Caster Oil
- 1 ½ TBSP Aloe Jelly
- 20-30 Drops of Camphor Oil
- 40-50 Drops of eucalyptus Oil
- 30-40 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 20-30 Drops of Peppermint Oil
- In a double boiler melt coconut oil, bee’s wax and castor oil together.
- As soon as the bee’s wax and coconut oil is melted turn off heat.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then add the Aloe Jelly. Mix well. REALLY WELL to get the jelly to mix with the wax and oils.
- Once Aloe is incorporated into the wax and oil mixture; add your essential oils. You want to let it cool some before adding the essential oils because they could lose their potency in high heats.
- Pour mixture into clean dry air-tight containers. Leave open until the vapor rub cools and hardens.
** When doubled, the recipe will make three small 4 oz mason jars worth of vapor rub. **
Once hardened you can use it just like vapor rub. Apply to chest, back, neck, feet and even under your nose (no, not IN your nose silly). This vapor rub is safe for the whole family. When using it on babies I would suggest keeping it off of their face. (Just in case, you wouldn’t want anything getting into babies eye, nose or mouth) When my kids were babies I applied it to their feet and put socks on them. I still do this for Things 3 and 4 and even Mr. JEM when he’s feeling yucky.
If you don’t have time or the ingredients to make your own, check out JEM’s Eclectic Home Etsy store for a chance to have your very own container of JEM’s Vapor Rub land right in your mail box right in time for cold and flu season.
I hope you enjoy this chemical free version of Vapor Rub. I know that my family does.
Check out my post…I Hacked Burt’s Bees Hand Salve for another DIY recipe.
Please read this disclaimer.